Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

In the Kitchen: Panini

I've just been cooking up a storm lately! Between all the great recipes I've found on Pinterest and the cookbooks I've gotten from the library, I've had fun experimenting with new foods! Who says you can't cook for one?! For dinner last night, I wanted something quick and simple since Monday night's dinner took almost two hours to prepare (roasting your own red peppers on a weeknight isn't the smartest idea)!


I came across a recipe for Greek Paninis on Mix and Match Mama's blog the other day. I was excited to see that this could be made into a vegetarian version just by leaving out the chicken. So simple! It definitely didn't lack any flavor, either. The combo of pesto, fresh spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese and red onion really packs a punch! I used multigrain bread instead, and next time I might try it with hummus instead of pesto, although I did love it so much I'm not sure I can change it up! I think the combinations for this basic sandwich are endless! In fact, this recipe inspired me to consider buying a panini maker. If I can justify enough uses out of it (I need plenty of veggie options), I might just have to add one to my wish list! 
If you don't have a panini maker, don't worry! You can just do what I did. I placed a heavy skillet on top of the sandwich while it was cooking, and then I also pressed it down with a spatula. It works well, but you don't get those great grill marks. I'm thinking a caprese panini or a mushroom melt version would also be great! In fact, mushrooms sound delicious with some meunster cheese, red onions, tomato and olive tapenade! Yum!! Maybe I will have to consider that panini maker after all...


1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM! I love all things Greek and this looks easy and awesome. Must try!

    ReplyDelete