Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Favorite Stir-Fry

I love me some Asian food. It's usually packed with veggies and lots of great flavor, so of course it's one of my favorites. But sometimes getting Asian food from a restaurant or take-out place is just not great. It's a lot greasier and a lot less healthy. By making it at home, I'm able to control the ingredients, and it's actually just as cheap as take-out!

I love vegetable lo mein, but every time I tried a recipe for it, it called for corn starch and ended up taking on the texture of glue. Not very appetizing. I finally gave up on that idea and decided to just make a yummy veggie stir-fry and add noodles. You can use whatever kind of noodles you like. You could even sub the noodles for rice. I always use packaged egg noodles because they're inexpensive and yummy! Just be sure to boil them first, but don't overcook them since they'll be added to the stir-fry and cook a little longer. Also, feel free to use whatever veggies you like best. I typically use scallions, carrots, and broccoli, but I'm sure just about anything would be delicious!




Ingredients
1 package egg noodles (I like Mueller's Medium noodles)
fresh veggies, chopped (I use a head of broccoli, one bunch of scallions, and a couple big handfuls of shredded carrots)
1 small piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5-6 Tbs. canola oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
5-6 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. lemon juice

Boil noodles, but don't let them get too soft. Drain.
Heat a large skillet or wok with 3-4 Tbs. canola oil. When very hot, add veggies (except scallions or other very tender veggies) and stir fry 2-3 minutes.
Push veggies to the side of the pan. Add a little more oil. Stir fry the scallions, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes for 1-2 minutes.
Add last drops of oil to pan, along with cooked noodles. Don't stop stirring!
About about 1 minutes, sprinkle with soy sauce and lemon juice. Stir and serve!


On a side-note, Gooseberry Patch has some of the best recipes around. They're hosting a blog hop, so I thought it would be fun to participate in my first one! Check out the yummy recipes everyone is sharing!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this one. Chicken with vegetable stirfry is one of my favorite dish. I hope I can cook perfectly your recipe later. I will share this also to my friends. Keep on sharing!

    Stir fry recipe

    ReplyDelete