Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips

For all of you kale skeptics out there, please just hear me out. I was once on your team, but I've since switched over. And if these roasted salt & vinegar kale chips won't do it, then nothing will! You won't even know you're eating kale, and just think of all the health benefits you'll be getting! For this yummy snack, you'll need:

1 bunch of fresh kale
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste (I use sea salt)
fresh ground pepper to taste

Wash your kale well and tear the leaves away from the stem. Discard stems. (Just a tip: I don't care for the pre-washed and pre-cut variety. They don't remove the stems!!) Pat your kale dry. Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well. Next, spread the kale out on a foil-lined baking sheet.



Roast for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees. After about 10 minutes, I turned my oven down to 375 degrees. Just keep an eye on it and don't let it burn. You want it to be crispy, though, and because of the balsamic vinegar, it will take on a black color.


After you remove the kale from the oven, sprinkle with more salt if desired. Store any leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge. The leftovers are just as good cold (or you can pop them in the microwave), although they won't be as crispy. I think these are a little more interesting that plain roasted kale chips since they have the flavor from the vinegar. However, if you're more of a plain snack person, feel free to leave it out. Plain kale chips are tasty with salsa or hummus.

For my next kale chips adventure, I plan to make a sesame oil and chili pepper variety! 


1 comment:

  1. Salt and vinegar chips (or salt n vinnies as our family calls them) are one of my favorite indulges! I'd love to try them with kale.

    ReplyDelete