Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Brave New World

For anyone who watched TLC's show Breaking Amish last fall, it's back for a second season as a spin-off called Brave New World. The first season followed five young adults who grew up in Amish/Mennonite communities, but wanted to break free and experience a taste of normal life. So where did the show send them? To New York City, of course. To say it was culture shock would be an understatement. But some of them loved it, some hated it. They all got into a little bit of trouble at times, and two of them ended up marrying each other.

Via
Now they're back for more adventures in the real world, but this time they've relocated to Sarasota, Florida, which is right in my backyard! I'm pretty excited to see everything unfold in some familiar places. Apparently the show began filming earlier this year. I remember being at Target a few times on the weekends and thinking, "Wow, there sure are a lot of Amish here today." And then the next time I went, it was the same situation! Now it all makes sense! 

In this season, Abe, Rebecca, Kate, Sabrina and Jeremiah will experience more  culture shock and new relationships while living in Florida. Brave New World premieres on TLC this Sunday, May 12, at 10 p.m. EST. 

I can't wait to see what happens this season! This show has especially been appealing to me because I've always been fascinated with the Amish world. They seem like genuinely good people, but they have such a different way of living. Personally, I stress out if my power flickers out for a few minutes. I can't imagine never having electricity! And that's just the start! After I graduated high school, my family and I took a road trip up to Niagara Falls and stopped along the way in Amish country. It was beautiful and interesting, so then in my college speech class, I did a project on the Amish. I've always enjoyed learning more about them, and this show does not disappoint! 

2 comments:

  1. I saw the preview for this the other day and thought that I should watch! When the tornadoes came through in 2011 and we were without power for five days, it was a wakeup call to how much we depend on electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this show too! I grew up in an Amish area of Pennsylvania. Some of the kids went to school with us up through 8th grade. That's when they had to quit to work on the family's farm. I became friends with some of them and they were usually the best students in the class. Some of them were pretty rebellious too. It's pretty fascinating!

    ReplyDelete